Where to go for Treatment After a Work Injury

After an injury at work, it is important to seek treatment by a BWC certified provider .  This can be confusing with the plethora of options we have today! Understanding the difference now can play a large role in the future.

Different Medical Care Options

  • ‘Take Care’ or ‘Minute’ Clinics
  • Urgent Care
  • Hospital Emergency Room
  • Physician Office

Following an injury at work, proper care and diagnosis are critical. Determining the severity of an injury can be incredibly important! If in doubt, call 911 immediately.

Choosing Care for a Work Related Injury in Ohio

As stated in the “Injured Workers’ Pledge of Service” every Ohio worker has the right to prompt medical care, provided by a BWC approved healthcare provider of your choosing.  This is the absolutely first step in selecting medical care following an injury – You must receive care from a BWC Certified provider.

Here are the top 3 questions to ask yourself, and the healthcare provider. In serious injuries or in unsure scenarios, it is best to call 911 to seek emergency medical attention.

Question 1: Does my injury need medical attention?

Question 2: How severe is my injury?

Question 3: Are you a BWC Approved Provider?

If your injury is severe, emergency responders or emergency room workers will be able to provide immediate and necessary care. In other types of injuries, you may be able to go to the ER without transport, or urgent care may be a sufficient place to start.

Why Early Care Matters in a Work Injury

The Ohio BWC requires that every single workers’ compensation claim is filed along with the proper documentation.  Naturally, a large part of that is medical information that comes directly following an injury! The care you choose can truly determine how your case is handled, including the type of injury, what the cause was determined to be, and even proper documentation for time off work.

The best case scenario is to go to an approved BWC Provider within your health network, that can work directly with your primary care physician now and in the future.

If you or someone you loved was injured at work, you must seek expert legal help. Contact my offices immediately!

I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay!®

Author: Tim Misny | For over four decades, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in in birth injurymedical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving ClevelandAkron/CantonColumbusDayton and neighboring communities. You can reach Tim by email at misnylaw.com/ask-tim-a-question/ or call at 877.944.4373.

Article Name
Workers' Comp Injury Treatment
If you are injured at work it is very important to understand where you can seek treatment. Not all medical care facilities are BWC certified and therefore your medical costs may not be covered. It is advisable to do your homework before an injury occurs!
Workplace Accidents