A hospital-acquired infection is any infection you get while in the hospital that has nothing to do with the condition that brought you to the hospital in the first place. Hospital-acquired infections affect 1 in every 25 people.
The most common hospital-acquired infections include:
1. Bloodstream Infections – Infections in the blood stream are extremely dangerous because they affect the functions of your entire body. Examples include; HIV, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, Aids, Bacteria, and SARS.
2. Urinary Tract Infections – Infections in the urinary tract can lead to even more dangerous infections in the bladder and kidneys. Without proper treatment, urinary tract infections can lead to permanent kidney damage.
3. Respiratory Infections – Pneumonia is inflammation and fluid in the lungs. Elderly and young children are at the greatest risk of pneumonia, which if not treated properly, can lead to death.
4. Surgical Site Infections – Surgical site infections can occur because of dirty surgical equipment, left-behind tools, improperly washed hands, and implantation of hardware for various reconstructive surgeries, including knee replacements and spinal rods.
5. Staph Infections – MRSA is the most common staph infection. It is incredibly dangerous and contagious because of it’s resistance to antibiotics.
While many hospital-acquired infections cannot be prevented, it is still a health-care facility’s responsibility to provide patients with the safest environment possible. Whether you’ve suffered from one of these infections or find yourself at risk of acquiring one, it is important to know how they are caused.
Avoid the causes of hospital-acquired infections, or make sure to protect yourself as much as you can in these situations, might save your life:
- Overuse or improper use of antibiotics
- Injections and/or wounds
- Surgical procedures
- Exposure to hospital personnel
- Inadequate hand washing
- Lengthy hospital stays
- Exposure to unclean equipment
- Exposure to others with hospital-acquired infections
If you or someone you love was injured as the result of a hospital-acquired infection, you have to call me now for a FREE consultation at 1 (877) 944-4373. I will help you understand your rights. As your Ohio Medical Malpractice Lawyer, I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay!®
Author: Tim Misny | For over 39 Years, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in birth injury, medical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving “Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Columbus & Cincinnati, Ohio.” You can reach Tim by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 1 (877) 944-4373.