Working as a personal injury lawyer for the past four decades, I have learned that catastrophic injuries are more than just physically damaging. Victims of serious injury often face a variety of psychological and emotional problems as well. I found these disorders can sometimes be more debilitating than physical injuries.
The following psychological disorders can result from a catastrophic injury:
- Depression – Fear, chronic pain, an inability to engage in once common activities, and isolation can cause clinical depression.
- Personality disorder – Victims of catastrophic injury often learn to cope with their trauma in socially unacceptable ways.
- Psychosis – Catastrophic injury can cause a distorted view of reality.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder – More commonly known as PTSD, serious trauma can cause victims to relive the accident over and over in a number of ways.
- Dissociative disorders – Victim of catastrophic injury often cannot relate with friends and family as they once idd, causing them to detach.
Psychological or emotional trauma deserves the same acknowledgement as physical injuries, but it is often difficult to prove. That is why you need an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side to help you get the compensation your deserve after your injury.
If you or someone you love has been injured and experienced psychological trauma as a result of the injury, here are some of the factors you must consider before pursuing a claim:
- Intensity of the original injury and accompanying mental anguish
- Duration of the symptoms
- Related bodily harm, such as ulcers, headaches, and the inability to function
- Medical records from a psychiatrist
Proving an emotional distress claim is complex, and every case is different. Call me at 1 (877) 944-4373 for a free consultation. We can discuss your situation at a time and place that is convenient for you. As your Catastrophic Injury lawyer, I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay!®
Author: Tim Misny | For over 33 years, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in birth injury, medical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving “Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Columbus & Cincinnati, Ohio.” You can reach Tim by email at email@example.com or call at 1 (877) 944-4373.