Most drivers follow the basic procedure after a car accident: stop, exchange insurance information with the other driver, call law enforcement, gather eyewitness information, take photos and seek medical attention. When a hit and run accident occurs, however, you may not have a chance to note the driver’s license plate number or other identifying information.
Hit and run accidents are a serious offense, and the Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you recover compensation. Here’s what to do when you’re involved in a hit and run:
- Call law enforcement: Whether you were injured or not, you should call local law enforcement to report the hit and run. The police should file a report and look for the driver. Never chase after the other driver. That puts you and other drivers at risk.
- Gather as much information as possible: While you’re waiting for law enforcement to arrive, try to get as much information about the accident as possible. Take photos of your vehicle, the scene and any injuries you have. Look for buildings with security cameras, who may have captured footage of the accident. Write down everything you remember, from how the accident happened to the time, date, weather conditions, location and what kind of car the other driver had.
- Locate witnesses: Next, if your injuries permit, try to get contact information from eyewitnesses. Try to get their name, phone number and/or email address. If they have any information about the driver’s identity, write that down.
- Seek medical attention: If your injuries require immediate help, call 911—don’t worry about gathering information or locating witnesses. For less severe injuries, you should still visit the emergency room, urgent care or your general practitioner’s office as soon as possible. Some injuries take hours or days to manifest.
- Call your insurance company: Next, call your insurance company and inform them of the accident. Their investigators will want to start tracking down the other driver.
- Call the Law Offices of Tim Misny: Finally, call the Law Offices of Tim Misny for help. Insurance companies have a vested interest in paying as little as possible—even when you’re paying the premiums. Experienced legal assistance ensures you won’t accept a lowball settlement offer.
Hit and run accidents are frightening. With our trusted legal help, you can recover compensation and get back on the road again.
Discuss your case with an Ohio hit and run accident lawyer
The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you with your hit and run accident case. When you’re the victim of negligence or recklessness, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (800) 556-4769 so that I can evaluate your case right away.