Workplace safety is a critical issue for Americans, especially if you work for one of the “Dirty Dozen.” The National Council for Occupational Safety and Health released their annual list of the most dangerous companies in America, and it might surprise you.
While we often think of jobs like law enforcement, construction and mining as some of the most dangerous occupations, these jobs range from retail to farming.
2022’s Dirty Dozen highlights
Here are some of the most surprising results from this year’s list:
- Starbucks: Starbucks has been in the news lately, thanks to certain locations across the country unionizing. The coffee corporation has been firing its employees for organizing for better safety conditions. Clearly a change is needed, since employees were routinely exposed to and infected by COVID-19 during the worst of the pandemic.
- Dollar General: Most of us wouldn’t think of a dollar store as a particularly unsafe place to work, but OSHA has reportedly levied millions of dollars in fines on this retailer. Across the country, workers were shot, stabbed, punched and pistol-whipped.
- Amazon: Amazon’s working conditions may not be a complete surprise to many people—reports of dangerous warehouses and unfair work practices have been circulating for years. However, six workers died at their Bessemer warehouse. Nationwide, their injury rates are over twice the national average.
- Hilton Hotels: Thanks to COVID-19 service cuts, Hilton hotel employees and guests were exposed to safety risks in what the NCOSH describes as a “high hazard industry.”
- Refresco: At Refresco’s Wharton, NJ facility, bottling plant workers were exposed to COVID, fires and chemicals. The firm has repeat OSHA violations.
What to do if you’re injured on the job
If you’ve been injured on the job in Ohio, make sure to report the injury to your employer and seek medical treatment immediately. The Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) may cover your medical expenses and wage loss.
While workers can certainly go through the claims process on their own, consider calling the Law Offices of Tim Misny to guarantee good results. We have experience fighting for workers’ compensation, from the beginning of the claims process to appeals with the Industrial Commission. The more complex your injury, the more likely you’ll need legal assistance.
Call the Law Offices of Tim Misny for help with your workers’ compensation claim. We’ll fight to get the benefits to which you’re entitled.
Call an Ohio personal injury and workers’ compensation lawyer today
Were you injured on the job, or as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness? Whomever is responsible, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Get in touch with me at (877) 944-4373 so that I can evaluate your case as soon as possible.