When you’re involved in an accident, you may incur medical bills – medical bills that need to be paid right away. A common assumption is that the party at fault for the accident is responsible for covering the cost of medical bills; however, that is not the case.
Generally speaking, you are responsible for initially paying your own medical bills, regardless of who is at fault for the accident. The party found to be at-fault for the accident in a court of law may be responsible for damages, which will include medical bills, but he or she is not responsible for covering medical bills without the filing of a lawsuit, and as you know, lawsuits take time and usually don’t resolve quickly.
The following are general rules of thumb for various types of accidents and the payment of medical bills:
Motor Vehicle Accidents
- “No Fault” States – Your auto insurance will pay medical bills, with limits, regardless of who is found to be at-fault.
- Non “No Fault” States – You will generally be held responsible for your medical bills unless your insurance policy has med pay coverage, which will cover your medical bills up to the med pay policy limits.
Slip and Fall Accidents
- Injured person is responsible for covering medical bills unless property insurance has med pay coverage, which will cover an amount up to the policy limits.
- Injured person is responsible for covering medical bills, as boating insurance polices typically do not offer options for med pay coverage.
- Medical bills are paid by the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. The injured party is not responsible for any medical bills or deductibles. Workers’ compensation may even reimburse the injured party for transportation expenses to and from doctor visits.
Despite these general rules, every case is different. If you or someone you love was injured in an accident, it is important to consult a personal injury lawyer right away, so you know exactly what to do when you get those medical bills in the mail.
Call me to schedule a free consultation today at 1 (800) 556-4769. As your accident lawyer, I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay!®
Author: Tim Misny | For over 33 years, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in birth injury, medical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving “Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Columbus & Cincinnati, Ohio.” You can reach Tim by email at email@example.com or call at 1 (800) 556-4769.