In order to have the best car insurance policy for you and your family’s needs, it is important to understand the various types of coverage. Coverage varies and address the many different circumstances that can occur as an automobile owner.

  • What if I cause an accident, and I’m found at fault?
    • This is liability coverage.
    • Almost every state requires a minimum amount to be covered. The minimum amount for a driver to have covered ends up being the maximum amount the insurance company will be able to pay out.
    • There are two types of liability coverage.
      • Bodily Injury Liability: if you caused an accident and other people, either passenger in your car, or other people involved in the accident are injured. The minimum coverage for the State of Ohio is $50,000.
      • Property Damage Liability: if you cause an accident and someone else’s car or property is damaged. The minimum coverage for the State of Ohio is $25,000.


  • What if I’m in an accident, and the person at fault doesn’t have enough coverage?
    • This is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists liability coverage.
    • The State of Ohio does not require uninsured motorists’ coverage. Just because it is not required, doesn’t mean it’s not worth it. Experts agree that you should have at least the amount of your vehicles worth in this type of coverage; that way you can replace your vehicle if it is totaled in an accident and another party at fault is underinsured or uninsured.


  • What if I am injured in an accident?
    • This is Medical Pay Protection or Personal Injury Protection coverage
    • It is no secret the cost of medical care is extremely high. Having medical pay protection in your auto insurance plan can protect you and your family from financial troubles due to mounting medical bills that are the result of an auto accident injury. If you do not have health insurance, it is wise to at least get medical pay protection for auto insurance covered.


  • What if my car is damaged in an accident?
    • This is Collision
    • It insures your car in case your vehicle collides with another car, another object such as a telephone pole or fence, or if your car flips on an icy road.


  • What if my car is damaged by something other than a collision?
    • This is Comprehensive
    • Comprehensive coverage is a sort of financial security blanket. It covers damage to your vehicle that is not due to a collision, such as flooding, fires, vandalism, or theft.


  • What else can I do to make sure I am protected?
    • Ask your insurance agent about Umbrella Coverage.
      • It insures your vehicle and property are protected in case of catastrophic injury or death for a minimum of $1,000,000.
      • Motorists often don’t know about umbrella coverage because insurance companies don’t want you to know about it. They know that with umbrella coverage plans, the insurance companies really have to pay up!

If you or a loved one was injured or killed in an automobile accident due to another driver’s negligence, contact my office immediately. As your Ohio car accident attorney, I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay!®

Author: Tim Misny | For over four decades, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in in birth injurymedical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving ClevelandAkron/CantonColumbusDayton and neighboring communities. You can reach Tim by email at or call 877.944.4373.

Article Name
What to Know about Auto Insurance Coverage
There are several distinct types of coverage in any one auto insurance plans. We discuss the differences and what they cover.