Losing a loved one is always heartbreaking, but losing them as a result of preventable circumstances is even worse. If someone else’s negligence or recklessness caused their death, you and your family may be entitled to compensation.
In Ohio, families have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit. It’s important to call an attorney as soon as possible. Although it’s a painful and stressful time, failing to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires will bar you from recovering damages.
Here’s what to do after a wrongful death:
- Gather evidence: If you have any evidence about the wrongful death and incidental damages, such as a police report, medical bills and charts, funeral expenses, surveillance footage, photos or other helpful information, gather those before you call an attorney. This can help them evaluate your claim and explain your legal options.
- Call an attorney: Next, call the Law Offices of Tim Misny. We will discuss your options and let you know whether you’re eligible to file a suit. Once you retain an attorney, they will conduct their own investigation of the accident. This ensures that you won’t miss out on the statute of limitations, and an experienced lawyer is handling the claim on your behalf. This frees you up to focus on healing from your loss.
- Ask questions: Your lawyer should explain the litigation process to you, as well as any potential settlement offers. Don’t hesitate to ask questions to make sure you understand what’s happening, and what you’re potentially agreeing to. Great attorneys are communicative and want to help you make informed decisions.
- Save all documentation: Your case may be ongoing, even while you’re planning a memorial and settling your loved one’s estate. During this process, save all documentation, such as bills and communications. Your attorney may need them, whether to calculate damages or build your case.
- Consider a settlement: The majority of cases never go to trial. They are settled out of court, which saves the time and expense of a trial. A case can settle out of court all the way up until a verdict is reached, even if you go to trial. The stronger your case is, the more likely you’ll get a settlement offer (and counteroffers).
Wrongful deaths are difficult, but having an experienced lawyer on your side can make the process easier. Let the Law Offices of Tim Misny handle your case, so you can heal from your loved one’s death.
Consult an Ohio wrongful death attorney today
The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you with your wrongful death claim. If your loved one died as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (877) 944-4373 so that I can evaluate your case right away.