You might have heard that insurance adjusters will use certain tricks to pay lower settlements. Some clients wonder if they can simply lie to the insurance adjuster about their accident—whether adding a few details or omitting important facts.
Even though insurance companies do their best to avoid paying out high settlements, you should never lie to the insurance adjuster. It could jeopardize your chances of recovering altogether. Plus, you may suffer other unintended consequences, even if you weren’t at fault in the accident.
Don’t risk lying to the insurance adjuster. Call the Law Offices of Tim Misny for experienced legal help. We’re experienced in dealing with insurance companies, and can make sure you get the best result possible—without lying.
Consequences of lying to an insurance company
Some of the consequences you might experience include:
- Claim denial: If you lie to an insurance adjuster, there’s a good chance that the insurance company will deny your claim. Even minor lies, such as downplaying your role in the accident or making up injuries that you didn’t suffer, could cause the insurance company to deny payout entirely. It’s best to be honest—and let your attorney handle it.
- Higher premiums: If the insurance company allows you to continue your policy, you’ll undoubtedly pay higher premiums. Insurance adjusters may put you into a “high risk” category, making it more expensive and harder to retain insurance in the future.
- Cancelled policy: In some cases, your policy may be cancelled entirely. In addition to your claim being denied, you could find it difficult to purchase insurance from another company.
- Fines and penalties: Depending on the company and policy, you may be subject to fines and penalties for lying or embellishing the truth.
- Criminal punishment: Finally, lying to your insurance company is insurance fraud. That means that you could find yourself liable for fines, fees and even jail time—and you likely will not be able to recover compensation for your claim.
Although it might be tempting to adjust the truth, never lie to an insurance adjuster. When you’re in an accident, seek medical attention, gather any evidence available and give us a call.
Letting the Law Offices of Tim Misny handle your claim is guaranteed to get a much better outcome. We’ll talk to the insurance companies for you, and make sure that you get the compensation you’re owed.
Discuss your case with an Ohio personal injury lawyer today
Have you been a victim of someone else’s negligence? When you’re injured, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (877) 944-4373 so that I can evaluate your case right away. We may be able to recover compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, lost wages and more.