When you’re involved in a personal injury lawsuit, it’s safe to say that everyone involved will be watching your social media accounts. If you put your personal information out on the internet, everyone from insurance adjusters to opposing counsel can see what you have to say. Even mundane posts could be used against you.
When you work with the Law Offices of Tim Misny, we’ll review your case and explain your legal options—but we’ll also suggest you lock down your social media accounts.
Here’s what to do with your social media after an accident:
- Resist the urge to talk about the accident: If you only remember one rule, remember this one. Never post about your accident on social media, even if you delete it later. Seemingly innocuous posts can be used to prove or disprove your claims, in ways you may not expect. Keep posts, photos and recordings off the internet.
- Use privacy settings: After your accident, lock down your social media. While social media is never truly private, you can use “friends only” settings to reduce the likelihood of attorneys, insurance adjusters and witnesses finding your private details. It may be prudent to temporarily deactivate your profiles while the lawsuit is pending—ask our lawyers for advice.
- Don’t post while your lawsuit is active: Even if you keep your social media active, do not post until your lawsuit is settled. Well-meaning photos, sentiments and shares may look very different when presented to a jury. When in doubt, ask your lawyer for perspective.
- Don’t text or private message people about the case: The less you say about your case, the better—especially if you’re not sure who’s on the other end of the conversation. Limit your text conversations to other subjects.
- Ask your friends and family to avoid posting about you: Just as opposing counsel and insurance adjusters can find you online, they can also find your friends and family. Ask your loved ones to avoid tagging you in posts or talking about you and your accident, until the lawsuit has settled.
Following these tips will help our lawyers get great results. If you’ve been harmed as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, the Law Offices of Tim Misny will be happy to assess your case. We’ll explain your legal options—and how to lock down your social media.
Call an Ohio personal injury lawyer today
Were you injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness? I’ll guide you through every step of the case, and more importantly, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Get in touch with me at (800) 556-4769 so that I can evaluate your claim.