The holiday season is upon us! From the week of Thanksgiving until after the new year we spend our time celebrating with family and friends – Christmas shopping, get-togethers, going out for drinks to catch up. With the hustle and bustle of the holidays, the roads can become dangerous for drivers.
In Ohio, 19 deaths and hundreds of accidents occurred over the Thanksgiving weekend.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has shown that Thanksgiving day has 5 times as many fatal traffic accidents as an ordinary day, with Labor Day, the fourth of July, and Memorial day not far behind. The following are factors that make the roads more dangerous during the holidays:
- Increased traffic, at least 50% more motorist on the roads
- Increase in alcohol consumption
- Increase in driving distances
- Possible adverse weather conditions
If you are planning a road trip over Christmas and the New Year, you should take these steps to arrive safely at your destination.
1. Plan your route. Going over your route ahead of time will make your trip less stressful.
2. Check weather reports. Knowing weather conditions will give you a chance to adjust your departure time or select an alternative route to your destination.
3. Service your vehicle. Make sure your vehicle is in good working order.
4. Do not drink and drive. If you plan on drinking make sure you have a designated drive,r or make other transportation arrangements.
5. Be well rested. Get a good night’s sleep the night before your planned trip, and if you feel too tired to continue driving, stay in a motel for the night.
You can’t stop other drivers from making mistakes and/or using poor judgment when driving during the holidays. All you can do is be aware of the possible dangers and don’t make yourself part of the problem. Be safe on the roads so the holidays can be the joyful time they are meant to be.
If you or someone you love was involved in a car accident, you need to call me right away at 1 (877) 944-4373. As your Car Accident Lawyer, I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay!
Author: Tim Misny | For over 33 years, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in birth injury, medical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving “Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Columbus & Cincinnati, Ohio.” You can reach Tim by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 1 (877) 944-4373.