Brain injury is one of the leading causes of death and disability in infants, and unfortunately, medical errors are often be to blame.
The two most common causes of infant brain injury occur during pregnancy and birth:
- Oxygen Deprivation – Caused by long labor, failure to order necessary c-section, umbilical cord problems, mother’s blood pressure, difficult birth, constricted airways, placenta issues.
- Improper Delivery Methods – Improper placement and use of birthing tools such as forceps and vacuums; as well as protracted delivery, excessive twisting of the baby by the physician, and delivery performed too quickly.
Unfortunately, infant brain injury may not be immediately apparent. In fact, symptoms may not show up for years following the injury.
However, some symptoms of infant brain injury may appear right away and include:
- Eyes will not focus
- Stiff neck
- Abnormally large forehead
- Distorted facial features
- Excessive crying
- Excessively fussiness
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeding problems
Symptoms of infant brain injury that will develop later may take different forms, including:
1. Cognitive – Difficulty with attention, memory, impulse control, and communication.
2. Physical – Difficulty sleeping, tremors, extreme fatigue, paralysis, missing developmental milestones such as crawling, walking, sitting up, and eating alone.
3. Perceptual – Changes in vision, hearing, and spacial disorientation.
The prognosis for infants who suffered a brain injury depends on the severity of the original brain damage. Some infants will be able to recovery fully, while other will have a lifetime of problems; including learning disabilities, cerebral palsy, intellectual disabilities, and epilepsy. All of which may require years of occupational and physical therapy.
An infant brain injury can change the course of your life and the life of your baby forever. You shouldn’t have to face it alone. Call me right away at 1 (877) 944-4373, and I will meet with you to discuss your situation. Schedule a FREE consultation to discuss your injury and whether it could have been prevented.
As your Ohio birth injury lawyer, I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay!®
Author: Tim Misny | For more than 34 years, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in birth injury, medical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving “Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Columbus & Cincinnati, Ohio.” You can reach Tim by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 1 (877) 944-4373.