The American Academy of Pediatrics and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recently released findings advising against the usage of marijuana by pregnant and nursing mothers.
There are a number of conflicting opinions regarding this subject, but the following facts from recent studies should cause everyone concern:
- Marijuana usage during pregnancy is associated with birth defects;
- Marijuana usage during pregnancy and while nursing is associated with attention problems, cognitive impairment, or low IQ later on in the child’s development;
- Marijuana usage during pregnancy is associated with a low birth rate;
- Marijuana usage is associated with your baby having a higher likelihood of needing admission to NICU after delivery;
- Women using marijuana during pregnancy have a higher likelihood of developing anemia.
Over the past 40 Years, I have represented families in birth injury claims and medical malpractice mishaps. I know what these situations can do to a family, and to intentionally ingest a substance that makes the birthing process all that more risky, is incomprehensible to me. If there is the slightest risk that something could hurt your unborn child, or your infant, avoid it all costs. The calming effect that marijuana may have on the mother is not worth the damages that statistics show can occur.
If your baby was severely injured due to a birth injury, call me immediately. I will fight for your family’s justice.
As your Ohio birth injury lawyer, I’ll be there for you, and I’ll Make Them Pay! ®
Author: Tim Misny | For more than 40 Years, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in birth injury, medical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving “Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Columbus, Dayton and neighboring communities.” You can reach Tim by email at misnylaw.com/ask-tim-a-question/ or call at 1 (877) 944-4373.