With football season fully in swing, there are plenty of upcoming opportunities for tailgating. Tailgating before games and other events is a time-honored tradition—but when you combine vehicles, alcohol, grills, glass containers and sharp knives, accidents can happen.
If you’re injured at a tailgate party thanks to someone else’s actions, call the Law Offices of Tim Misny. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. In the meantime, read these safety tips—and get ready to have a great game.
Tailgating safety tips
Here are some quick tips for a safe celebration:
- Choose a designated driver: Alcohol often flows freely at tailgates, which is why it’s crucial to pick a designated driver. Having a sober companion will ensure at least one person can drive and supervise the grill.
- Pick a safe spot: When you arrive at the stadium, drive slowly. Tailgate parties can sprawl into driving lanes, and small children are prone to darting in front of cars. Pick a spot that will be easy to get in and out of, even when it’s crowded.
- Protect against the elements: Don’t forget warm, layered clothing and plenty of sunscreen. You can still get sunburned, even on snowy or overcast days. Bring plenty of water to avoid dehydration, especially if you’re drinking alcohol or caffeine.
- Grill safely: Grilling at a tailgate party is classic—but firing up the grill in close quarters can be dangerous. Bring a fire extinguisher along, in case of emergency, and a first aid kit for any injuries. Once you’re done grilling, make sure the gas is off and coals are doused in water. Keep children away from open flame and hot surfaces.
- Observe food safety practices: Your food needs to be stored safely, before and after you cook. Put all meat and dairy-based foods on ice, and bring a meat thermometer to ensure grilled foods are cooked to a safe temperature.
- Dispose of waste properly: Finally, bring garbage bags along to dispose of your waste. Wrappers and food items can be slipping or tripping hazards. Broken glass can cause flat tires and physical injuries. Plus, picking up after your party is considerate to your fellow patrons.
When you observe these safety tips, you’re more likely to have a fun experience. Unfortunately, not everyone is as careful. Should you be injured, seek medical attention and call the Law Offices of Tim Misny for assistance.
Talk to an Ohio accident attorney today
The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you with your accident claim. If you suffered injury as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (877) 944-4373 so that I can evaluate your case right away.