One of the top questions clients ask is, “How do I help my attorney win my case?” Ideally, when you choose a skilled lawyer at the Law Offices of Tim Misny, they’ll have already reviewed the case and have a good idea of what you’ll need.
However, it’s tough to sit back and let attorneys handle it, especially when you’re not sure how the legal system works and your life depends on a favorable outcome.
Here are some ways that you can help your attorney win your case:
- Hire an attorney early: Clients often think that they can handle conflicts on their own. Unfortunately, the law doesn’t always follow “common sense” ideals. The last thing you want is to find out that your attempts to advocate for yourself actually harmed your chances of recovering. That’s why it’s smart to hire an attorney right away. The sooner they’re on board, the fewer mistakes you’re likely to make.
- Tell your lawyer the whole truth: Your lawyer needs to know the facts of the situation. If you contributed to an accident, even in a small way, they need to know from the beginning. Being partially at fault doesn’t necessarily bar recovery—but no lawyer likes surprises. Don’t risk the success of your case by withholding the parts that make you look bad. The defense attorneys certainly won’t!
- Do not contact other witnesses: Your lawyer will let you know whether you can be in touch with certain witnesses. Do not assume that you can contact eyewitnesses without explicit permission, however, unless you live or share a close relationship with them already.
- Stay off social media: Social media can be used to undermine your case. Defense attorneys and insurance companies will do their best to show your life hasn’t been significantly impacted by your accident. Even innocent remarks and photos can be twisted. Lock down your social media, don’t post about the case and don’t allow your friends and family to post anything about you, either.
- Follow your lawyer’s instructions: If your personal injury lawyer has given you other instructions, follow them to the letter. Even if they seem silly or restrictive, your attorney has worked within the law long enough to know how plaintiffs should act. Choose a lawyer you trust, then listen to their advice.
The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you win your personal injury case. Call us today to learn more.
Talk to an Ohio personal injury lawyer
The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you with your personal injury case. When you’re the victim of negligence or recklessness, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (877) 944-4373 so that I can evaluate your case right away.