Bicycle accidents happen much more often than you might think, and Cleveland cyclists suffer serious injuries because motorists are not paying attention or decide to drive aggressively. I am an experienced Cleveland accident attorney, and I know how devastating these collisions can be.
When a driver is negligent and a bicyclist gets hurt, it is essential for that bicyclist to learn more about filing a claim to seek financial compensation. I can help you through every stage of this process. Do not hesitate to get in touch with me to learn more about filing an Ohio bicycle accident claim.
Learning More About Cleveland Bicycle Accidents
Did you know that 857 bicyclists sustained fatal injuries in traffic collisions across the country in 2018? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), serious and deadly bicycle accidents happen much more often than you might expect, and thousands of cyclists sustain injuries.
The following are facts and figures about bicycle crashes from the NHTSA:
- 857 bicyclists sustained fatal injuries in collisions in 2018;
- Average age of bicyclists killed in collisions is 47;
- Highest rate of bicycle accident deaths occur between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.;
- Majority of bicycle accidents occur in urban areas—a total of 75% of all fatal bicycle crashes;
- Eight times more men are killed in bicycle accidents than women;
- Alcohol is a factor in 37% of all deadly bicycle accidents; and
- Helmets that fit can significantly reduce the rate of brain injuries in bicycle collisions.
Common Injuries in a Cleveland Bicycle Accident
Bicycle accidents can result in many different types of injuries, which can vary greatly in terms of severity. Common injuries in bike crashes include but are not limited to the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Concussions, which are a form of mild TBI;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Back and neck injuries;
- Broken bones or fractures;
- Internal bleeding;
- Organ damage;
- Amputations; and
- Psychological trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Timeline for Filing a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in Cleveland, Ohio
If you want to file a bicycle accident lawsuit, it is extremely important to pay attention to the Ohio statute of limitations for personal injury claims. Under Ohio law, most personal injury lawsuits, including most bicycle accident lawsuits, will need to be filed within two years from the date of the collision that caused your injuries.
If you do not file your lawsuit within this time window, Ohio law can bar you from filing a claim. Do not let this happen. Get in touch with me to get started on your case today.
Contact a Cleveland Bicycle Accident Attorney to File a Claim
I have been representing injury victims for decades in and around Cleveland, Ohio. As an experienced Cleveland accident lawyer, I am committed to helping you get the financial compensation you deserve.
I will hold the at-fault driver accountable for a crash that caused your bicycle accident injuries. I’ll Make Them Pay!® You should call my office at 877.944.4373 as soon as you can to learn more about how I can assist with your bicycle accident lawsuit.