We’ve all seen the “slip and fall on a banana peel” joke, but slip and fall accidents can have serious, if not fatal consequences. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, knowing what to do can make the difference between recovering compensation or paying costs out of your own pocket.
Here’s what to do after you’ve suffered a slip and fall accident:
- Seek medical treatment: First, seek treatment for your injuries, even if they don’t seem important. Sometimes the adrenaline from an accident can mask aches, pains and more serious injuries, until hours or days later. The longer you wait to seek help, the easier it is for insurance companies and defense attorneys to argue that your injuries were not that bad.
- Make a report: Next, make a report, either with the owner of the premises or local law enforcement, depending on where the accident occurred. Ask for a copy of that report for your own records.
- Document your injuries and the accident site: Take photos of your injuries periodically, including right after they happen. If you’re able to document the accident site, take photos of the hazard from multiple angles. Keeping a “pain journal” of how the accident is affecting your life can also be helpful.
- Set aside your clothing and shoes: Set the clothing and shoes you wore during the accident aside. Do not wash them. They may be helpful in determining fault during subsequent proceedings.
- Do not accept blame: Avoid assigning blame to anyone—but don’t accept blame, either. It’s important that if anyone asks you about the accident, you stick to the facts, such as, “I was walking down the cereal aisle in the grocery store, slipped and fell.” Avoid giving statements to insurance adjusters or other parties until you’d had a chance to talk to a personal injury attorney.
- Find a personal injury attorney: Finally, find a reputable personal injury attorney to represent your case. You may be eligible for compensation for your medical expenses, lost income while recovering and more.
The Law Offices of Tim Misny has years of experience helping slip and fall victims obtain compensation. If you’ve suffered a slip and fall accident, follow the tips above—then call us to learn more about your legal options. We can review your claim and explain your legal obligations.
Talk to an Ohio accident attorney today
The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you with your slip and fall accident claim. If you or a loved one were injured due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (800) 556-4769 so that I can evaluate your case right away.