As a personal injury lawyer, it is my job to help you win your case. I will investigate the facts, research the law, hire expert witnesses, and be your advocate from the beginning to the end. However, I can’t do it all by myself.
Most people don’t realize what an important roll they play in winning their own personal injury lawsuit. There are so many things you can do that will help your case be successful. It is important to be aware of these 6 tips for winning your personal injury case, because the failure to perform even one task, can cause you to lose your case before you’ve even filed it.
If you have filed a personal injury lawsuit or think you might file a personal injury lawsuit, your chances for success will vastly improve by recalling these 6 tips:
1. Seek medical care. By going to a hospital or a doctor will will be able to provide your attorney with evidence of your injuries. The hospital will be able to provide you with hard documentation of your damages in the form of x-rays, test results, and medical reports. This is important even if you have suffered minor injuries because you may have complications later on.
2. Previous medical condition. Don’t just assume that because you have a existing condition, you will not be successful in your personal injury lawsuit. An attorney will help you explain and differentiate your previous condition with your new injuries, so make sure you keep your attorney informed. Furthermore, in this situation, medical documentation becomes even more important to set your existing injuries apart from your new injuries.
3. Keep documentation. Keep documentation of all injuries, doctor visits, conversations, missed work, and day-to-day feelings. Take photos of any visible injuries and property damage. My advice is to keep a journal of how you feel and of things that happen to you, because lawsuits can take a very long time to resolve. Often, you are forced to recall the events weeks, months, and even years following your injury. The most important thing to remember is that the court only believes what you can prove through evidence.
4. Social Media. Monitor what you put on your social media page and make sure your pages are private. Social media can be used against you in a court of law, and it is up to you to filter what you show the outside world. Be conscious of what you are putting out there, and of how others might be able to twist it for their own benefit.
5. Trust your attorney. Your attorney is experienced in managing personal injury cases. Trust and listen to what he/she says. Following directives is vital to winning your case. Also, being honest with your attorney is the number one thing you can do to help your case. If you aren’t honest, you are putting your attorney and your case at a disadvantage.
6. Do not talk to the insurance company. The insurance company may try to contact you with settlement offers. They will try to take advantage of you. It is important that you don’t talk to them. Instead, retain an attorney who will become your advocate.
If you or someone you love suffered a personal injury as a result of medical malpractice or another form of negligence, you have to call me right away at 1 (877) 944-4373.
Author: Tim Misny | For over 33 years, personal injury lawyer Tim Misny has represented the injured victim in birth injury, medical malpractice, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death cases, serving “Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Columbus & Cincinnati, Ohio.” You can reach Tim by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 1 (877) 944-4373.